• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Optimum Canard Placement/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

There seems to be some renewed interest in canard designs.

Somewhere around here I have a few research papers on the optimum placement of close coupled canards. But these are on trans-sonic or supersonic fighter aircraft and, I believe, are non-lifting canards.

In my readings, I have picked up a little bit of info on "long coupled canards" as typically used in aircraft that we would be using. They are usually lifting canards, providing 20%-30% of the total lift (and, yes, they can also work as a control surface). They are located (approximately) 2 or 3 wing chords ahead of the main wing. Typically high aspect ratio. The angle of incidence is such that they stall before the main wing. The CG should be 15% to 20% of MAC ahead of the aerodynamic center.

You can also have high wing, low wing, mid wing, and high canard, low canard, mid canard.

Yes, the canard will affect the performance of the main wing but, as with the trans-sonic close coupled canards, my feeling is that there is an optimum location. One concern is to lower the landing speed without sacrificing the "stall-less" behavior.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any research that has been done on the optimum design of long coupled lifting canards on "low speed" GA aircraft?

Back