• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Number and arrangement of rivets in spar build-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sierra_Hotel

Since I can't start actual aircraft construction while I'm deployed overseas, I've decided to put my Mustang 2 plans to use and have started drawing/building the plane in Inventor.

At one point in my college career I was a mechanical engineer in training (made it through statics and dynamics, then regrettably switched majors like an idiot), so beam loads, bending, the basic stuff, I've got a reasonable enough handle on. But it occurs to me as I'm "building" up the spar assembly right now, I have no idea how one would determine how many and the layout of the rivets that actually hold the thing together? In the case of the Mustang 2, it's .040" aluminum sheet and 2 T extrusions plus an ample application of rivets, and some vertical angles thrown in for rib attachment.

I have dreams of one day using this whole project as a starting point for my own larger design, but it's the details like this that are beyond my abilities. And, yes, I would have any sort of design fully analyzed by someone qualified to do so before ever calling it good. This is really just a thought experiment at the moment to understand the construction principles.

*ETA: I guess the better question is, where can I read up on aluminum aircraft design? 😁

Last edited:
Back