• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to the Ultralight side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackman

Hi,
To everyone. I am new to the Forum and new to Ultra-light flying. Been around airplanes and aviation for 40 years and finally getting a opportunity to enjoy the low , slow flying I've wanted to try. Several months ago I purchased a Kolb Firefly and I am in the process of refurbishing a few items on the plane. The plane had been stored in a open T-hanger (Central Florida) and has some small rust bleed thru on the tubing. I have already starting replacing most of the bolts and clevis pins with new AN hardware. Replacing all the fuel lines and fuel pump with new equipment. The issue with rust bleed thru on certain parts of the tube frame is to some degree concerning me. My past experience in aviation Quality Assurance has me spring loaded to be very suspicious of any signs of rust. Is a small amount of surface rust on the outside of the tubing something to be expected on a plane that was built in 2005 but stored in an open T-hanger? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Tim

Back