• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Member - Sort of

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clif001

Hi all.

Not a pilot (yet), unless you count a couple of hundred hours on Microsoft Flight Simulator. 😉

But things will come in their own time.

I bought the Affordaplane plans several years ago on a whim and, now that I'm retired, it's time to start building my dream project. I started watching build videos on YouTube and have started having reservations about whether I can build it. Construction seems straightforward and easy enough, the problem is the room to build in.

One of the main selling points for me was several builders stating that they built their Affordaplane in a one car garage (which is exactly what I have) . After watching a set of videos (on HomeBuiltHELP), about 2/3 through the videos the wings were attached and never removed again. From what I could tell, at that point the wings were permanent and the rigging attached and swaged. I just can't see how it can be built in a one car garage. I suppose it could be built up to a certain point, then (HOA permitting) finish in the driveway. But even if it were possible, I can't see how to transport it from my suburban one car garage to a proper launching site.

Unless I can figure it out, I may have to look for other plans (which I'll do in another thread).

Well, that's my story, such as it is. If you made it this far, sorry it was so long. 🙂

Back