• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New member in SC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workdogruss

Greetings folks. Russ here. I've been lurking and learning for a number of months here as well as a few other sites.
Lifes twists and turns have had me planeless for 10 years now, but my eyes have been eternally looking to the skies and I yearn to get airborne again. Something nostalgic looking and mildly aerobatic is where my interest is. I've a strong fascination and admiration for the tube and fabric biplane types, and have tolerated being without for about as long as I can stand now.
All of my time has been in a sweet little spam can Aerobat, so i've got a lot to learn about both maintaining and flying a Starduster (which is my choice of poisen this time around).
Much soul searching about 1. Building
2. Rebuilding
3. Purchasing a ready to fly
has brought me to choice #2.
I very much enjoy building or restoring most anything from furniture to antique cars to the aforementioned Aerobat. At the age of 66 years young, I don't really want to wait another 10 years working on a fresh build to get back in the air, so decided a bit of both restoring an existing orphan and flying relatively soon would be the most fun.
I'm hoping to get member thoughts and advise when the time comes to consider a purchase, and all the help and guidance I can get thereafter. I'm going out to look at a candidate tomorrow morning that's a couple hours from my place. If it seems worthy at all, I'd like post some pics and perhaps a dozen or so questions about concerns I should consider, condition issues, and perhaps rough value. Spam can values, I can estimate fairly well. Experimental biplanes, not so much, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Any and all input from ya'll is welcome.
Best regards, Russ

Back