• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Design Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl235

Hi all.

I am trying to design my own personal jet. I have no formal background in engineering or aerodynamics (just a mere pilot) so I am appealing for any opinions on my initial layout from the more technically gifted members.

My idea is to build the airframe from carbon fiber and mount an engine from a VLJ at the rear. (I used the dimensions of the GE Honda HF120 for the layout shown below but other similar sized engines could be substituted)

My intentions are to keep the design as simple, small (approx 6 meters in length) and 'low tech' as possible to keep the cost down.

As mentioned before I am no engineer and the design is an initial concept, the questions that I have are;

1. Are there any obvious design flaws with the layout?

2. wingspan vs fuselage length ratio? is it feasible?

3. vertical stabaliser size? would it be sufficient

4. Horizontal stabaliser location? would it be sufficient, would it have enough leverage?

5. air intake shape/size? how to calculate intake size for a specific engine? is the triangle shape I used feasible?

6. Can items like the landing gear and engine be fitted directly onto a carbon fiber body such as this or would there need to be an internal steel frame for that purpose?

2.PNG4.PNG

1.PNG3.PNG

6.PNG7.PNG

All measurements are in mm.

dimensions 1.PNGdimensions 3.PNGdimensions 2.PNG

Thanks in advance.

SL

Back