• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Microsquirt EFI on a Jabiru 3300

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc W

I started this project last winter and I am just returning to it now. The airplane is flying and the project was done piecemeal. I want to keep the airplane flying so I just do a little at a time.

I am keeping the existing fuel system and one ignition for redundancy. I have an Aeroinjector instead of a carburetor. The Aeroinjector will serve as the throttle body for the EFI. I am keeping both stock ignitions for the time being and setting up the fuel system first. After the fuel system is working I will install the electronic ignition on one set of plugs.

The first step was to install the Microsquirt ECU and the crank trigger system. The ECU is mounted inside the firewall together with a fuse block and fuel pump relay.
20231222_121144.jpg

I used a Ford 36-1 trigger wheel and a Ford VR sensor to generate the tach signal for the ECU. I started out with a Porsche VR sensor and spent a lot of time trying to get a good tach signal with only partial success. I finally gave up and installed a Ford VR sensor. The Ford sensor worked flawlessly from the beginning. I learned it is best to use matched parts and not mix manufacturers. The Microsquirt now provides the tach signal for my GRT EIS.

You can see the toothed wheel mounted to the flywheel. The VR sensor is to the right of the black hose and below the orange cable. I also replaced the Jabiru alternator with a Monkworx generator left of the toothed wheel.
20231222_121001.jpg

Back