• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for 3-4 Beta builders wanting a substitute engine for a Jabiru 2200 or Rotax 912 ? Engine at cost. ~$6500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
I posted a separate build thread on my taking over the AM10 3 cylinder engine development based on the Toyota KR engine. Im looking for 3-4 early adopters willing to risk $6500 to get into what may be small, compact and light 3 cylinder engine and gearbox system. I am not in possession of a suitable airframe to put the engine onto and rack up hours, and with current experimental airplane prices I would have to build one which will take quite a bit of time.

Any airplane made for the Jabiru 2200 would be ideal (80hp) so at the front of that list would be the CH 701, Sonex, Titan Tornado etc.

By selling the 4 NA engines that I have (which are brand new BYD engines from China), it will allow me to buy inventory of Japanese JDM engines that I can rebuild and in that batch I can also get some of the VET turbocharged engines which would match the requirement for any Jabiru 3300 or Rotax 912S engine package. If there are any reliability issues with the BYD engines I will offer the buyers a replacement JDM rebuilt engine, also at cost (approximately $1500 for the engine) for being early adopters. I was simply not willing to continue buying the chinese engines and have my personal reputation tied to them long term.

I am located in SE Michigan, so it would be most helpful if the beta builders were located in Michigan, Northern IN, NW Ohio, as example locations that I could logistically support. I do have a full time job still, but if this thing takes off I will retire from my automotive job to give this project the attention it deserves. Target package price for the engine and gearbox is still $10k but the rest of the summer will be spent in completing the gearbox development and finding vendors for the gearbox parts specifically.

Send me an IM here on the forum if you want one of the available spots. Ideal candidates will already have a flying airplane that they would like to repower with a Jab 2200 in it or a Rotax 912, or a kit having an engine mount set up for it.

Back