• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LIFTING STRUTS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autopilot

This is a pick-up from the X-66A thread. I would like to hear ideas and discussion on how to make a Lifting Strut (LS) work aerodynamically, and the possible
benefits/drawbacks of using struts as a Lifting Surface (Ls).
We all understand that any excrescence on an airplane induces drag, including wings and tail surfaces. We would (I expect) also agree that joining a full-length
LS in a straight line to the wing and fuselage creates turbulence and interferes with lift at the wing. (Please keep in mind I am a novice with all this, If I'm not
correct, I only need gentle correction.)
The X-66A thread posits that the use of LS in that case is to reduce drag and that in this case it is questionable. So, what if the use of LS was to reduce wing area/span!
If the aerodynamics can be somewhat sorted, the engineering can follow (and yes there may be some compromises). Two examples are below, The X-66A shows
the LS coming square of the body just like a wing, and the Bellanca CF finishes the Ls short at the wing.
Are these solutions(?) effective in reducing turbulence and interference?
Are there more effective/efficient ways to alleviate the induced problems?
Can the LS effectively reduce the WING area? i.e. If I have 2sqr mtr of LS, can I reduce my WA/WS by 2 sqr mtr?
Could the LS be used as high-lift device on landing approach. i.e. Used as a flap?
Is there a preferred ratio of LS Chord to Wing Chord?

This thread is not restricted to my personal situation, I present here only so you understand what I am trying to achieve, that being a reduction in my Wing Span!
As my project it intended to be STOL, I have a High Lift wing (high drag). I'm not primarily concerned about fuel efficiency, practicality and useability are my
primary goals.

Let the games begin!Bellanca.jpgX-66A.jpg

Back