• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lazy bee derived LAR design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

Well maybe its time to move it out of the daydreamers thread as I continue to play with it.

Based on the Clancy Lazy Bee - an 'older' RC design of the 70's that was made to look a lot like the old-timers. I know some of us RC geeks always keep one handy as they're a ton of fun. Low rates - probably one of the easiest to fly trainers known, high rates for silly close in aerobatics...

Roger Mann (Ragwing) Built a little ultralight which shared some components of the lazybee - but then omitted the big ones (semi-eliptical shape etc) His was 278lbs, 30HP power, cruised 50-55mph, "Below 30mph stall" 250' landing roll without brakes, t/o distance 150'. 17'6" span Chord is 84" and 15' length. He apparently hung it in a barn after 40 hours - with a note for someone to find later explaining some of its intricacies... I'm hoping he may reveal what those intricacies were!
https://www.facebook.com/ragwingair...ot-marketed-which-is-still-v/254112961823148/

lazybee4.png
lazybee-fullsize1.png lazybee-fullsize3.png

Scaled the Clancy Aviation plans up standard fuse, Lazy bee special wing (ailerons)- so the Chord was 7', that puts it to 124sqft of wing area (32cuft/wing - so rutan moldless is out - 100+lbs right there), 7' chord and 20' span, Spar could be up to 12" tall. Dropped a stock 37hp briggs vanguard on the nose, offsets are ballpark for Airtrikes SPG3 gearbox, 60" prop sketched in just to eyeball clearances. Tires sketched in are 31x12" - theoretically possible - doubt the 27lbs each just for the tire is workable - maybe some 26s? I dislike the clancy empennage, so it got scaled J3 versions. Moved the wheels down 200mm (8") that gives 5'3" clearance under wing - I wouldn't be ok trying to crawl into an aircraft. Currently set at 1deg of dihedral - possibly to be removed,

Interestingly the Pilot would sit right under CG... Bit more HP and width - possibly 2 seater at 50hp.

lazybee5.png

Latest iteration - added about 8" to fuselage depth to get a bit more headroom. Yes the holes in the cowl are firmly tongue in cheek Upper two are 5" and lead straight to the Briggs heads.

Spreadsheets aren't throwing any massive red flags - albeit I used clarkY numbers not whatever is drawn (related, not the same)

I could see this being a fun little single seater, so I'm continuing to play with it.

Attachments

• Lazy Bee 40 Wing.pdf
    414.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Lazy Bee Fuselage Plan.pdf
    767.1 KB · Views: 20
Back