• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laser cut wood airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

When I saw the Falco plans, I realized that the ribs are build like in a Mini Max. This is a very time consuming technique, sort of WW1 technology. It is obvious that by the time Frati designed the airplane (1955?), there were no laser cut machines. It seems reaonable to laser cut the ribs, and perhaps almost most of other parts of the airplane (except the skin and the beam), pretty much like an RC balsa aircraft.

Ok, this will involve reenginering the whole aircraft, but it will reduce the building time substantially. Probably building everything with plywood would increase the weight. So perhaps the best option would be to use sandwich panels, balsa or foam core and thin wood on the surface.

It is strange that no one has done something like this, at least to my knowledge?

You draw the parts, and then you can even cut them at home, except for the wing spars. Then, to assemble the aircraft you will only probably need a big flat table, but no other specific tooling (except for the engine mount).

It seems like a vey good deal, no jigs, no molds, no sanding, just glue or epoxy.
What do you think, am I missing something?

Oriol

Back