• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ideal horizontal Stabilizer location?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I believe that it is recommended, to locate the horizontal stabilizer away from the wing slipstream. To achieve this, the vertical distance between the stabilizer and the wing, ought to be at least the wing's mean aerodynamic chord. Therefore the most practical place to locate the stab, both for a low wing and high wing, is the conventional arrrangement. But what happens if you go with a mid wing design, similar to the Rans Sakota? The stab is right behind the wing. This option is not that uncommon, and it has the advantage of avoiding the wing's stalled wake. Of course, airplane design is the art of finding a compromise between the pros and cons.

My question is how to size the stab bearing in mind its position? One option would be to copy from similar aircrafts. However Simons in his book Model aircraft aerodynamics, uses a coefficient named stab efficiency for calculating the neutral point, that I have not found in other books; see picture below.

Anyone has heard of that coefficient that Simons uses?

Any thoughts are welcome, happy new year!

Oriol

Martin Simons Model aircraft aerodynamics Neutral point position calculation.jpg

Chris Heintz Flying on your own wings.jpg

Rans sakota.jpg

Back