• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How nose wheel retract steering works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I am not up to build a nose wheel retract system, but I am very curious as to how this mechanism works?

I understand that airliners mount an hidraulic steering system, that is attached to the folding nose wheel. But how about light sport airplanes without hidraulic steering?
It seems obvious, that the steering arm and the retraction fulcrum axis are coincident, to allow the nose gear to retract. But the exact nuts and bolts, are not clear in poberezny's landing gear book, or in Frati's Falco's plans.

I assume that the steering arm goes above the fulcrum axis. And the connection of the rod bearing steering, matches the fulcrum axis beyond the nose gear attachments.

Can anyone please share a picture in a real airplane, or a scheme example of this system?

Oriol

TrainAvantA320Ang.pngTrainAvantPiperAng.pngScreenshot 2023-10-14 at 21-15-37 Falco Construction Drawings New.pdf.png

Back