• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hard Points

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

This is a topic that has been touched on a few times but I'd like to try and gather a general consensus of opinion (or just stir up some general disagreement :gig:)

As far as I can tell typical approaches to concentrated attachment loads in composites are:

Solid Laminate
Plywood inserts
Metal inserts
Strip out foam between skins and inject epoxy-flox mixture.

Plus combinations of the above... If anyone knows of any others I'd love to hear them.

I've been thinking about how you'd go about analysing these? For an insert I suppose you can caluclate the bearing strength of the insert and then work out what the surface area of the insert needs to be in contact with the skin to meet the shear strength requirment? I'm not sure how I'd approach pull out strength though... For the flox injection method I guess I may just have to make some test samples and destructively test them (Hey, who doesn't love breaking stuff!!...) unless there's some existing data out there for bearing strength of flox-epoxy?

Cheers

Dave

Back