• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gyroplane & Small Engine Enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38493

A hello to everyone here!

I'm gathering parts to build a single-place gyroplane, which I intend to shake down thoroughly as a gyrglider before adding an engine. I'll be following the basic Bensen geometry for most of it, but rearranging some weight to get the center of mass centered on the propeller thrustline, and using a horizontal stabilizer. I'm also considering a welded steel frame, heavier, but maybe not in the end because the number of bolts required will drop dramatically. Essentially, I'm after the light, basic machine Bensen pioneered, but with a few stability improvements learned over the last 50 years.

With the two-stroke aircraft engine an endangered species, I'm hoping to develop a four-stroke conversion based on a V-twin industrial engine using a belt reduction drive. I've identified a candidate engine (I'll start a separate thread) which I think has the potential to produce 40+ HP, at the 7,000' density altitudes common here in Utah in the summer, at under 110 pounds including reduction drive, for less than $5K starting with a brand new engine.

I hold an FAA Private Airplane certificate with a Sport Gyroplane endorsement, currently work as an electronics tech in the medical industry, and have a background in amateur and broadcast radio. I appreciate the knowledge and tone I've found on this forum so far, and hope the few things I've learned along the way can be helpful to the community.

Back