• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

gyrocopter control simplification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacked

i thought of something, but i dont know how practical it would be. so i figured i would submit it for comment from the community. Gyrocopters' rotor usually have two controls, via the swashplate. pitch and roll. but i was thinking, is roll really all that neccissary, considering how much closer a gyrocopter is to a plane than a helicopter? (the gyrocopter acts more as a wing than a form of propulsion, while the jet/prop engine pushes backwards to allow it to fly continuously) the pitch control is ofc important for the gyrocopter's construction, as the blades always need to be be pointed into the wind. but i was wondering, is the roll function in the main rotor really 100% neccissary? what if u just replaced that with aileron controls in the tail, and simplified the main rotor controls to more of a pivoting lever dealie? thus simplifying construction and thus reducing weight, cost, and complexity of materials and tools required. but again, im not sure if this has been done and how much success was had, or would it not work or be dangerous, or whatever?

Back