• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GM L3T 3 cylinder Trailblazer engine ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
It seems the single OHC Honda L15 was run out in about 2015 and replaced with the much heavier DOHC version with direct injection making 130hp. That means that one is looking at increasingly higher mileage used engines on marketplace. My recent experience rebuilding my Cummins 5.9 has made me acutely aware that it can be a daunting task getting an engine rebuilt here in the US. I am so far a year into the process and still do not have the block and head back and the jury is of course still out on the workmanship on the parts. Not cheap either, $2700 roughly to rebore the block and rebuild the head. Crank did not need grinding. Parts etc come on top of that. $1200 for pistons and rings, bearings and gaskets. I still need to buy new fasteners and new hydraulic lifters etc.

So in perusing the "current generation" of engines, one of the problems that we face is that just about everything is too big, too powerful and too heavy..

Today I stumbled upon the new 3 cylinder engine that is currently the primary engine in the trailblazer. The L3T, 3 cylinder, turbocharged.
1681001434633.png
1681001454003.png

Engine Specifications 1.3T (L3T)
• Engine Type: Inline three cylinder
• Displacement: 1.35 L, 1341 cc, 81.8 CID (cubic inch displacement)
• Bore x Stroke: 79 mm x 91.2 mm
(3.11 in x 3.59 in)
• Block Material: Aluminum
• Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
• Valve Configuration: Dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) with variable valve timing (VVT)
• Valves per cylinder: 4
• Fuel System: Spark ignited direct injection (SIDI)
• Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
• Firing Order: 1–2–3
• Horsepower @5600 RPM: 155 hp (115 kW)
• Torque @1600 RPM: 174 lb ft (236 Nm)

So some things that stand out right away, direct injection and an electronically controller turbo. It also has cam phasers on both camshafts. The sump and cylinder head covers are plastic. So I will assume for the moment that all of these active gadgets will be eliminated. Fillers put into the DI injector ports with seals. High pressure pump removed together with common rail and injectors. Cam phazers gutted and locked into fixed positions for high power operation. Electronic turbo replaced by a larger simpler turbo because airplanes usually operate at pretty high power. Coolant system simplified. Will need to investigate the electric waterpump ?

Is anyone familiar with these engines ? I would be real curious what the weight is. They are down 1 piston, rod and piece of crank and cams. They do have a balance shaft though. Just by external features, it does appear that they were weight optimized as much as reasonable. There are quite a few for sale on ebay with basically no miles on them. Average price $1500-1600. Usually they do not have the turbo and sometimes are being sold as a "bare block" essentially a long block.

Back