• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Generic Engine Types in Homebuilt Registrations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanttaja

Sky Savant
I'm giving another talk on homebuilt accident statistics next month, for EAA Homebuilding Week. My subject is engine reliability. Started doing the analysis and came across a curious anomaly.

It's tough establishing how many of a given engine type is installed in the homebuilt fleet as about 15% of the registered homebuilts are listed with a generic engine type (e.g. AMA-EXPR). Out of curiosity, I decided to go down that particular rabbit hole and try to figure out if were any clues as to why.

At first I thought it was a given FSDO. Did a plot by state, but the results were pretty much the same across the US. All states had about 10-15% of their homebuilt registrations listed with AMA-EXPR engines. Sure, many were probably sold and migrated over time, but I'd still kinda expect to still have some concentration if a particular district had a policy.

Then I plotted the data by the year of manufacture, and got this plot:
AMA-EXP over Time.jpg
This is based on the January 2022 FAA registry.

What in the wild world of sports was going on in the early 2000s? Almost a third of the homebuilts in the current registry that show 2005 as their completion date are listed with the generic engine type. Started rising about 2000, tapered off by 2010.

Does anyone have any recollection of any FAA policy changes in this era that might have affected how the engine type was recorded?

Ron Wanttaja

Back