• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

General Questions for redrawing the Kolb Ultrastar plans in CAD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsteensen

Working on redrawing the Kolb Ultrastar plans in SolidWorks as planning for a future build. Making some basic tweaks such as tig welded gussets for the wing ribs, versus stamped, modern hardware in the case that some hardware isn't still available. Going to also upgrade to a Rotax 447 or 503 from scratch, and push the nose a hair forward to get things back into the CG envelope. Fuel tank will be behind the seat on the downtubes (Thanks Dana for the fuel tank design!), with a little cargo shelf for 24-72 hours of camping supplies where the old gas tanks were.

There are various points where I am running into trouble deciphering the contents of the drawing or trying to understand certain factors. I am receiving great feedback over on the Kolb Ultrastar yahoo group, but I figured I would cross post and update here for a running thread to show progress. I am sort of bouncing around in the completion of it currently, and working on the elevator bellcrank. I did have a few questions as to the hardware stack as pictured below.

Elevator Bellcrank HW.PNG

Just so I understand the hardware stack, from top down to left:
  1. Welded Tube End, Female Thread
  2. Jam Nuts
  3. Stud
  4. Nut (On Bottom of rod end bearing)
  5. Right Angle Rod End Bearing
  6. Jam Nut
  7. Welded Tube End, Female Thread
Questions:

Welded Tube End - What thread should this be, and I may have to adjust the tube diameter to account for lack of available tube ends in this size/wall thk (9/16" x .035) I can't find any data on what a RCK6 tube end is.
Stud - What stud is recommended? We don't do studs at my day job, as they have a habit of backing out, even when appropriately locktite'd, and red locktite is the devil for most of our applications.
Any favored rod end bearings? How many degrees of travel will be required?

I can redesign it to take advantage of easily available COTS parts, just concerned about doing it without knowing what sort of forces/loading are imparted on this assembly. I will redesign heavier than lighter without knowing the forces involved.

And an overall shot.

Ultrastar.20140902.jpg

Back