• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
As I've posted on previous threads, for several years I've been in the strange position of building an airframe (Flitzer Goblin) for which I had no suitable motor, all the while owning a motor (Rotec2800) for which I had no suitable airframe. For the Goblin, I recently (by aircraft building standards!) committed to building a flywheel-forward 2110 VW. That project is on-going. For my R2800 my goal was to find/build an airframe that would allow me to introduce my grandkids (and anyone else willing to fly with me, and small enough to fit in the second seat) to the joys of open cockpit flying (the Goblin is a selfish pursuit: only one seat). I even considered building a Breezy for the Rotec (Paul Chernikeeff advises that his radial would be just as happy pushing as pulling), but my wife nixed the idea (too radical). I bought plans from Bob Barrows for his LSA, thinking I would build a "Barehawk" without doors or windows and as little covering as possible, to simulate the open air feel, but that would take me years (if not forever) to scratch build, and the kit options are out of my league, financially.

In the end (or rather, a new beginning!) I just purchased a Fisher Celebrity project from a builder who worked on it for many years, but whose health has gone south. There are several Celebrities flying in various places behind the R2800.

Unlike Lynn Williams' Flitzers, which are very robust, Mike Fisher's designs strike me as fragile, at least in certain respects, perhaps reflecting their ultralight heritage (and construction methods). My immediate concern with the Celebrity is the landing gear, which I will replace. Not being particularly concerned about a particular vintage look for the Celebrity (unlike the Flitzer), there seem to be a number of very different gear options.

--Beam axle like the original Pietenpols (but with brakes). Mike Cuy has described one way to prevent excessive axle movement.
--Cub-style split axles, which I would build out of 4130, and on which I would probably want shock struts with die springs in compression instead of bungees. William Wynne has advocated this for Piets (in a very simple setup), and Lynn Williams has designed more sophisticated (also more complex) versions for his TigerFalk, Tiger, and Jung Tiger Flitzers. (In the case of the Jung Tiger he suggests replacing the springs with elastomeric donuts, as Rob Bach has also suggested might be good for Piets).
--Grove single piece aluminum gear. There are several Celebrities outfitted this way, but this is an expensive option.
--No suspension at all! I know the FlyBabys are designed this way (with the axle as an integral part of the airframe structure) and I've read comments from
Ron Wanttaja (who apparently is a big guy) that he has had no problems relying on big, low pressure tires to cushion his FlyBaby. I have also heard (on YouTube) Rob Bach at Broadhead suggest this might be the simplest gear solution for Piets.

I understand that I will need to add structure to the Celebrity airframe, no matter which approach I take.
Simple and quick is my preference. This airplane is meant only for casual flying, mostly off payment, occasionally landing on grass, but no back country work.

What do you folks think?

Back