• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuse tubing size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockiedog2

On a general purpose tailwheel plane(say utility category G limits) when considering the tubing sizes in the aft fuse...can we make a general statement that the abrupt,beating, jarring loads from the tailwheel would be considered to be more than the expected airloads...or the other way around? Yeah, I know...it depends. Like I said a *general* statement. Maybe based on long time engineering experience
And same question on say an S1S Pitts that would be expected to see near double the airloads of the first example and since the plane is so light maybe the tailwheel loads would be expected to be less than the airloads?

Having looked at many typical homebuilt plans the aft longerons are near always 3/4x035 with same size crossmembers and diagonals back to a couple bays forward of the tailwheel and the diagonals reduce to 5/8x035. Whether it's a Pitts or a Baby Ace. I understand the dimensions may overide the expected loads when comparing 2 different purpose planes etc.

I've used the ratio 55:1 in sizing tubes when I wasn't sure what might be best...so 5/8 would max span 55x.625 = 34.4". Dunno where that came from but it seems to work out about right when studying plans and tube sizes. So far none of my stuff has come apart except all those tailwheels up at OSH. That strip would tear up a middlebuster.

Well always thinking about where might reduce some weight by playing around in the edge of the pad a little and thought some of you tech guys might comment on aft fuse loading.

Thanks
Joe

(notice I didn't ask about whether it's advisable to play around in the margins...I already know that answer):cool:

Back