• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fin Design on a Composite Canard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

I’ve been spending a lot of time on youtube the last couple days (we have a litter of newborn puppies in the house and I’ve pulled night shift to watch them) and have ended up watching a lot on composite aircraft construction. I’m sure you know the videos; Arnold, Rutan, etc.

Anyways, it’s wild to think the Varieze is almost fifty years old. To the best of my understanding, one of the ideas at play in the design is that the vertical fins are also intended to be winglets. Now winglet theory has come a long way in the last fifty years (just look at the split scimitars that have shown up on 737s in the last ten years), has homebuilt canard design tried to keep up? I doubt Rutan would be putting out amendments on a fifty year old set of plans but how about something like the Open-EZ or a Cozy or Velocity?

Just curious and thought the HBA brain trust would be a good place to ask.

Back