• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabricating aluminum fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
I am fabricating an aluminum fuel tank for my Flitzer Goblin project. Although I have done a fair amount of TIG welding thin wall 4130, I had never previously attempted to weld aluminum. Welding aluminum is often described as a black art, mysterious in its particulars and difficult to master. This intimidated me.

The good news is that there are some very useful, free sources of information that can help one get comfortable with the process. Here are a few links that have helped me.

But first, a few comments:
--When you search for TIG welding aluminum tutorials most of what you get demonstrate welding thicker aluminum (1/8" and up) than we need. These can still be useful to explain the basics of machine settings (such as AC cleaning/balance, frequency, peak amperage, gas flow, etc.) and key techniques (such as tungsten grinding/balling, tacking, feeding rod & puddle control, etc.), but there are a few tutorials that focus on welding thinner material such as .063".

I hope some find these links helpful.

1) First, on aluminum fuel tank fabrication generally: Tony Bingelis' article in Sportplane Builder How About An Aluminum Fuel Tank?

2) Miller Electric's 4 part intro:

3) Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks, TIG Welding Thin Aluminum Lap Joints: TIG Welding Thin Aluminum lap joints
and Aluminum Welding Test Tips (.063):

4) Ray Schelin’s Pro Shaper, TIG Welding For Beginners, part 1 (aluminum starts around 36min):

Back