• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Evolution of designs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

Supporting Member
This is a thread to document and discuss the evolution of E-AB designs, to comment on design changes that one would want to see, and to predict future design evolutions.

From an engineering point of view, it would be much better for me to stop eating so much cookies. This has a potential of much more weight loss, as well as moving the CG forward :)
Many years ago, I asked Clayton Stephens about a spar modification that an acquaintance planned to make to save a few pounds on a Stephens Akro. Clayton’s response was something along the lines of, “Tell him to go on a diet, or just fly without his shoes on, and don’t mess with the design.”

The Stephens Akro was an aerobatic development of the Miss San Bernardino, which was designed by Bill Statler, RIP. Did any of you California HBA’ers know Bill? I would have loved to have known him.

The Laser 200 was Leo Loudenslager’s evolution of the Stephens Akro.

The Extra 230 was Walter Extra’s evolution of the Laser.

The later Extra, Zivko, and the Rihn designs all borrow heavily on the basic fuselage structure and aerodynamics of the Laser.

I suspect that most here know about the Van’s evolution, but what others are there?

BJC

edit Corrections to the above welcomed.

Last edited:
Back