• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Esoteric jig concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
Thinking (obsessing?) still about a possible spiral-wound geodetic fuselage, but it occurs to me that this jig concept might make sense for a range of fuselage builds (even steel tube?), where keeping things square and true is key.
Early practitioners of geodetic wood fuselage construction remarked that a good (internal) jig is necessary to deny the natural tendency of spiral winding to twist the formers. The recommended practice seems to have been to build a temporary, "conventional" truss braced box structure, to which the fuselage bulkheads could be clamped, with the internal jig removed after the two opposing helical windings have been installed.
How about the idea of taking advantage of today's engineered wood products to serve (perhaps with some modification) as the internal jig?
Specifically, engineered wood floor joists, such as Weyerhauser's TJI joists (essentially I-beams) are available with a height from 9.5" up, and are manufactured to very tight specs. They are also available in lengths not normally found for dimensional lumber.
Seems to me the engineered wood I-beam would naturally resist twist, but imagine how stiff it would be if we boxed it in with thin ply webbing across the flanges, both sides.
I know some homebuilders have had good results using such engineered would joists to build long, perfectly level work tables.
Just wondering if we can do much more with this product.

Back