• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Error calculating elastic modulus of Ducal ST 52

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

The vast majority of frames I build, is using Ducal/St 52, which seems to be the closest thing available in here to Chromolly, with thin walls. The local supplier provides some specifications;
Elastic limit 48 kg/mm2
Maximum elongation 6% minimum,

With this parameters, it seems to be possible to calculate the modulus of young (E) of Ducal using Hooke's law;
elongation = F/(S*E)

E = F/(S*elongation)

First I convert kg/mm2 to N/m2;
48 kg/mm2*1*10^6mm2/1m2*9,81N/kg = 4,707192*10^8 Pa, or^4,7 Mpa

Then I convert 6% elongation to elongation/original length;
6/100 = 3/50 = 0,06

Then I subsitute the values into Hooke's equation;

E = 4,707192*10^8 Pa / 0,06 = 7,848*10^9 Pa or 7,848 Gpa

This value seem two orders of magnitude below, to what might be realistic. Since the modulus of young of steel is 210 Gpa, and tin is 40 Gpa.
I am not able to tell what is wrong with those numbers? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Oriol

Back