• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Embedded com antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizzardworks

View attachment DF Loop Antenna for the Dragonfly Homebuilt.pdf I am constructing a canard pusher and would like to embed the antennas in the layup. I have winglets which are shorter than the 19" 1/4 wave antenna length.
Also the wing span is 42 feet which would result in a 30 foot long antenna cable. I found some references to hula hoop antennas one of which is attached. I was thinking of making the
antenna on the front face of a bulkhead in the nose just ahead of the canard. It will fit as a half wave antenna but It ocured to me I could do a spiral of two planer loops and have a full wave
antenna. The bulkhead isn't built so I can tilt it slightly forward to aim it at the ground 100 miles ahead from a 10k elevation. If copper tapes or cut sheet is used the flat side of it would be
facing the signal whereas if it was a 1/4 wave Yagi in a vertical tail the edge thickness would be pointing ahead and have a lot less surface area.
Then there is the horizontally polarized antennas which I have seen laminated into the bottom of the fuselage. If I laminate it into the bottom of the canard spanwise then all these long
antennas would be very close to the avionics for a very short cable run and they can be full wave length. There is no carbon fiber or electrical runs in these proposed locations and the
electrical buss is on the side of the cabin so no large amperage interference.
So what am I overlooking?????

Back