• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electrical Systems for Cabin Pressurization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVSUSteve

So I was doing some reading and came across some information that the 787 has effectively done away with the use of bleed air for pressurization and instead is using electrically powered air compressors. The thought crossed my mind (and someone had suggested it in the thread I started on pressurization a while back) that this might be a better option for the high performance single engine aircraft I'm designing since it would not drain bleed air from the turbocharger.

The technical aspect of this is how would one calculate how much air they would need per minute to keep the cabin at say 4,000 feet while cruising at 20,000 feet (so a pressure difference of 6.8 psi). Keep in mind the primary reason I am wanting to stay away from the bleed air is because I am basically designing a "cabin class" aircraft for so the cabin volume is probably close to 400 cubic feet once you take out the volume occupied by the seats. I really hate being cramped in an aircraft so I am designing the cockpit to be spacious (think a Piper Malibu with double the space).

Back