• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electrical System Clarification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I'm working through plans and beginning to build parts, to build a 2-place plane that would need to be N-numbered, a RagWing Ragabond. At what point is a plane considered as "having an electrical system"? Basically I'm wondering if having a battery powered points ignition system (4 cylinder VW), and wondering if that would be considered as an electrical system? If I go that route I would like to a have a small generator or alternator just to keep the battery voltage up, rather than it being a total loss system. Would that simple electrical system for ignition purposes only require any other things? Hoping to keep the plane really simple. Maybe there's a decent, compact not too heavy magneto that can be used with a 4 cylinder VW instead of using a battery powered points distributor?

I also need to educate myself on the advantages and disadvantages of going "flywheel drive" vs "pulley end drive" on the VW and am open to suggestions and recommendations.

Lynn

Last edited:
Back