• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design requirements for seat and safety harness anchors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaleDC2

I am modifying the front seat-back and safety harness system for a Cozy MkIV and need assistance in determining what and how much material to use.

On the standard Cozy MkIV, the shoulder harness anchor points are attached to a composite cross-beam that extends from one longeron to the other, at shoulder height.

I have modified my project, resulting in a shallower fuselage. As a result, my seat backs rise above the longeron level by about 8".

My design intention is to keep the longeron-level composite cross beam as the anchor points for the shoulder harnesses, but loop the harnesses up and over the seat backs.

I will use an inverted-"U" or "A" shaped seat back, composed of composite box-beams 2.5" wide, 3" deep. The "U" or "A" seat-backs will extend from the floor, up through the longeron-level cross-beam, and up 8".

The box-beams will use a 3/8" H-45 (3#) Divinicell foam core, with a 1 ply BID internal layup, and 2 ply BID external layup, at +/- 45 degrees. On top of that I will lay up E-glass roving for a cap, with another 2 ply BID layup at +/- 45 degrees.

This is a design that is employed in several car-seats. However, I do not have the experience to determine how thick the composite layers should be. I would like to avoid going overboard on

Design Loads:

I am using the FAR 23 guidelines to determine the static load requirements for the seat.

FAR 23.785a specifies a occupant weight of 215 lbs, with a 1.3x safety factor.

FAR 23.561 specifies a static load (in the foward direction) of 9bs. Using the 215 lbs passenger w/1.3x safety factor, that corresponds to 215 x 9 x 1.3= 2515.5 lbs.

Taking this a step further -- if we presume a 2.0 safety factor to account for homebuilt composite construction variances, and assume that the shoulder harnesses restrain 70% of the load in a forward deccellerating crach, then the static load requirements for the shoulder harnesses (combined) is 215 x .7 x 9 x 2.0 = 2709 lbs.

So... The seat back needs to withstand 2709 lbs static load, and each anchor point (2 anchors) needs to withstand a 1354 lb static load.

Please see the attached diagrams and advise. Thanks. Steve

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,465
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 644
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 648
Back