• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

DC Power, Sensing, and Antennas - How to Bundle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have little insight on electromagnetic compatibility. Please help.

I have read Aero Electric Connection cover to cover, some of it four times. I know that I am supposed to keep wiring for DC power to stuff like motors separated from avionics, but am struggling with knowing what is what and how much they matter. I am trying to wire my fiberglass airplane with internal antennas properly.

Here is what we have in the aft fuselage:
  • Trim Servos – Two power wires to run a DC motor and three wires for servo position - high reference, low reference, and potentiometer. The maker puts all five 24AWG wires on a flat cable, no shield. Max 1 amp for power. Three sets of these, just to make it interesting. Is it wise to leave these cables whole or split them up into signal and power sets?
  • ELT, has power, ground, and GPS data, all 22 AWG in a shielded cable gounded in the cabin, 1 amp fuse. There is also an RJ11 connector cable to the control box forward. No motors, just electronics;
  • Three RG400 coax antenna cables, two TX/RX for COM, One RX for GS;
  • Aft white and strobe, LED continuous and flashing - continuous 1 amp and momentary 6 amp. Powered by a two conductor 22AWG shielded cable, grounded in the cabin;
It looks to this non-EE type like the servos have DC power and signals, the ELT has power and avionics, the coax is avionics, and the aft light is DC power. With the advice given in AEC that DC power and avionics are to be separated, what do we do.

Oh, just to make it interesting, I can pretty easily rout two bundles from the aft fuselage, but three or four will be a “challenge”, so I want to keep all this coppery stuff to two bundles if it makes sense to do so. Also, since aft fuselage is a pretty tight space, I really do want to do this just once. Rearranging it later is an exercise I would love to avoid... Rearranging wiring through the baggage bay and cockpit would still be a major pain, but a lesser challenge than the aft fuselage.

So, how do I bundle this stuff to stay quiet on signal and radios?
  • Does it work OK to bundle coax with power wires? Or will electric motors mess up the Voice and GS stuff?
  • The makers of the servos and ELT seem to bundle up power and signal – should I keep them that way? Or should I separate power from signals as close to the servos as I can?
  • The ELT instructions direct us to run power and data in the same shielded cable, so I am guessing they can stay together... Or do we run power for ELT and LED’s and servos together then bundle signals together and run them separately?
  • Do I run coax cables together but away from a power bundle for ELT and LED and servos and away from signal bundles?
  • I have a dipole on each fuselage wall that tends to use the whole vertical height available. I plan to run my wiring along the fuselage walls and through the center of the dipoles. That gives me a place for two bundles, not three.
  • Putting a third bundle at say top or bottom of the fuselage has been warned against - Jim Weir says it will mess with my COM antennas. I could suspend a run of wiring down the middle of the fuselage, next to the big push-pull tube for the elevators. That only gets me about 4” separation between two of the bundles and would get interesting to work the support. A fiberglass wand supported at bulkheads and by some triads along the length could work. I do not have any desire to do that…
It all gets more interesting as we go forward, but the answers to the above questions should help with insight. The only antennas from the baggage bay through the cockpit are transponder and ADS-B on the floor with their own ground planes and two GPS antennas at the top of the roof that need no ground planes. So, I can have three paths behind the seats, but I only have two paths that are not a challenge around the seats, so I suspect I must decide if my signals from the trim servos can be bundled up with the power wires or the coax.

What say you guys? It sure would help if I can bundle the servo position signals with either the power wires or with the coax cables and still have it behave nicely.

Billski

Back