• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Current Sensing for an Alternator-Dependent airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
Now that I have two electronic ignitions, and NO self-generating magneto-like ignitions on my Aerovee Sonex, I'm a little concerned about my SINGLE 20 amp permanent magnet alternator (we will argue some other time about whether this was a good idea, I had my reasons, but I DO NOT advocate anybody do as I have done).

I'm toying with putting a CR Magnetics indicator (CR2550) around one of the leads BETWEEN the alternator and the rectifier/regulator on the firewall, so that if the stator craps out, I'll know about it immediately, so I can get on the ground IMMEDIATELY, before the battery runs down and it gets Really Quiet. Regulator problems presumably will show up from the voltage sensing in my Dynon Skyview.

Is there a flaw in this plan? I'm not, at this time, planning on a second alternator...maybe in the future.

Back