• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cheapest / least expensive plane to build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcf

Before everyone starts saying it, I know... aviation is not cheap.

Here's the deal. I need to find or build the most cost effective, low budget, of course safe plane that will be acceptable by the wife to allow me to have one. Which means zero dollars or close to it. I have plans for multiple planes including Weedhopper, Affordaplane, Banty, Mini-Max, many of the Mann's Ragwings, Skypup, Sandlin's Bloop, Bluebird, maybe even a motor Goat. I was figuring that I could do an over time build that could spread costs out over a period of time. I had almost started buying materials for a Weedhopper and then thought a Skypup and I go back and forth with those. Then I discovered the Bloop, then his others.

Aluminum costs are crazy, wood costs are crazy and I have found nothing of Spruce, Fir, or suitable alternatives locally. Plus I could really use an eye over my shoulder to help select proper aviation wood. I would be better at aluminum construction than wood.

There are so many other options out there and I like the simple ones. Needs to be home storable and towable to a nearby field.

Now if you basically could not spend a lot of money to keep the spouse from throwing you out, what plane would you point me towards? I am very mechanically inclined and engineer type mindset.

I have posted in the classifieds that I am trying to find that gem out there that could be saved or rebuilt.

Back