• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can an Expired FAA Registration be Restored?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azsportpilot

As many of you remember Effective October 1, 2010, aircraft owners were required to re-register their aircraft every three years. The plan calls for the re-registration of all U.S. civil aircraft by December 31, 2013. Then, all aircraft owners move from re-registration to registration renewal on a three-year cycle.

When an aircraft registration is not renewed, the cancellation of the N-number assigned to that aircraft will take place approximately 90 days after the expiration of an aircraft's registration. Upon cancellation, an N-number will be unavailable for re-assignment or reservation for a period of five years.
You must get a new airworthiness certificate bearing the new registration number from your local FSDO.

So here’s my issue…

I am currently looking for a plane one ebay, barnstormer etc…… many of the “good deals” are out of annual and part of an estate etc
I routinely check the N-number with the FAA database found here

FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry

I usually get all the registration info but, very often I get this alarming message:

ATTENTION!

This aircraft's registration status may not be suitable for operation.
Please contact the Aircraft Registration Branch at 1-866-762-9434 for additional information.

It is my understanding that this means that the owner (or their estate) failed to pay the $5.00 renewal fee, and furthermore failed to correct the problem within the 90 day “Restoration Window”

With the Registration expired the Airworthiness Certificate is now “Ineffective”

Banks will not loan money on a plane in this status and no ferry permit can be issued

OK, so finally my question: can this be corrected? is it always fixable or is there a risk that the new owner is buying a “lawn decoration”?

What about previously illegal “Fat-UL’s” that converted to ESLA during the grace period but then failed to renew 3 years later?

Last edited:
Back