• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can a Fixed Gear Mustang be Cool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

I’ve been mulling over this for a couple weeks now after another thread was started asking about locking down the gear on a Titan T-51. Now, I don’t think that’s the right answer for a V8 powered Titan but what about something a little less serious? This is all just academic but I’d be curious to know people’s feelings on it:

On the smaller side, there’s the Isaacs Spitfire and I don’t think there’s anything too bothersome about the gear being ‘down and welded.’ It’s not like you can see the wheels from the cockpit but you can absolutely look out over those pretty elliptical wings. Any performance loss from fixed gear is probably more than made up for by the weight savings.
264688_big.jpg

For a light and simple-ish Mustang I was thinking of something that fits in LSA (or Canadian Ultralight) rules, two seats, maybe only single control to keep it compact, and about 100hp via an O-200 or Corvair or Rotax 912. The gear of course would be fixed and no cutouts in the lower wing skin or gear doors or silly schemes to hide the wheels. Technologically it would slot somewhere above a Thatcher but below an RV.

But the whole idea is made or broken by just one thing: could it be cool or would it forever be lame for the ever-dangling gear?

Back