• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculating stresses on stressed skin corrugated spar wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizzardworks

corrugated spar wing analysis 1.jpgCorrugated spar calculations 2.jpgI am trying to find a method of analyzing a stressed skin corrugated spar wing. The first image upper left corner is an NLF(1)=215f airfoil. There is a line drawn equally distant from the top and bottom surface representing the neutral axis of a beam. Then lines are drawn perpendicular to the neutral axis at all corrugation crossing points. Next image down and bottom left are alternating sections of the first drawing to separate the parts a little.The second column separates the wingskins and spar segments onto their own line. The third column rotates the neutral axis and spar and wingskins to horizontal. All these groups were put in a line on the X axis. From this location all the second moments of inertia and centroids were found with the Rhino4 "analyze/mass properties/area moments" command. The second image displays these values and the first run of the calculations. The units come out to lbs/sq.in. but the answer seems to be off by several decimal places.

I was hoping to make this available as a spread sheet to any interested parties. I numbered all the points and was intending to connect everything with straight lines, but at this point it seems CAD is more efficient and accurate. I need to determine what laminate thickness for 24ksi compression and 30ksi tension loads to determine the weight of the wing for the weight and balance spreadsheet. Often there are responses on the forum implying do the math, so hopefully someone can explain the problem I am having.

wizzardworks

Back