• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Calculating Principal stresses on a Timoshenko example

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I am reading Timoshenko, the bible of structures. I hope to get to the next chapter covering combined loads, but first I need to finish this one, to understand Mohr's circle etc. Perhaps posting this in here, might help others interested in learning about structure analysis. It will be wonderful once finished all the reading, to post a brief summary with a worked basic example; so that all the information is not scattered in multiple threads or posts.

This below is a picture of example 7-3 in my spanish edition. The diagram speaks by itself. For the given loads and using the formula on the second image, one has to calculate the principal stresses?
Everything seems pretty straightforward, you only have to put the values of normal stress (Sigma X and Sigma Y) and Shear (Tau) and isolate the unknow angle.
I cheated a bit and translated the units to the metric system, but I have obtained the same value.

The problem happens when isolating theta from tan 2theta = -0.5697
I get theta = -29.6702º, which has nothing to do with the results on the book?

I do not know what I can be missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Oriol

timo diagrama.jpgTimo fórmula.jpg

Back