• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Builder Dilema - Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
Having completed a MiniMAX last year I'm itching to build again. I think I'm one of those "more builder than pilot" types.

I have actually half heartedly started making parts for two "next projects" and I'm having a hard time deciding which one I want to focus on rather than muddle along on both and taking forever to complete either.

My choices are a Hummel Ultracruiser and another MiniMAX. Both need to be 103 compliant. I recently bought a 1/2 VW engine and would want to use it in either plane. I think it would be harder to keep the weight of the MiniMAX under 254# with the 1/2 VW, but I think it can be done. The 254# weight on the Ultracruiser with a 1/2 VW would take a careful build, but can, and has, been met.

My question is this: Both designs have about the same wing area (~112 Sq. Ft.), span and chord. The Ultracruiser airfoil is about 9 3/4" (~18%) at the thickest point vs the MiniMAX at about 7 1/2" (~14%). In the interest of cruise range and cruise speed, which design would give the most efficient cruise? The Ultracruiser is a sleeker overall and uses a cantilever wing. The MiniMAX is a bit "boxy" has strut braced wings, but the struts would have fairings added to reduce drag.

So, considering the variables, which design (wing and configuration) would cruise at ultralight speeds the most efficiently? This business of being torn between the two builds is wearing on me. I'd like to get my focus on just one and go for it.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn

Back