• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bugatti design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLANEGUY

Hi all...

Its been a while since I've visited this board as I was busy being rated in the CL-604 and CL-300 which I'm rather stoked about! I have continued foreward on my ellipitical design but, after consulting with my wife, have decided that a four place cross country airplane is a better fit for our future family. If you haven't caught on, I am a big fan of automotive engines so just about any design I work on will include a powerplant I can get on the open market (yup that means junkyard.) I have always found the Bugatti 100 a fascinating design, but never dreamt of trying to use it for any reason... Untill now!

My thinking is that the design is an excellent platform for a V8 with a transmission and four seats.

Knowing what they knew when they designed the plane, and the fact that it never flew I think it would be a great idea to get some input from the group. Obviously, I'm thinking about stealing the basic layout. As mentioned above I'm looking for a 4 seater and am thinking about incorporating a transplanted V8 with transmission and then just driving the prop with a driveshaft. Much like the original design. I like the Y tail, its sexy, but the cooling won't be that fancy more like a simple flow through design with a scoop or NACA inlet of sorts. Also I dont think I will need cruise speeds like those posted in the spec sheets. Im dreaming of something in the 200-250kt range with a 400hp pwr setting.

Now that part I'm curious about... Are those forward swept wings stable and will this planform be stable at low speeds?

_travis

Attachments

• Bugatti Racer.jpg
    Bugatti Racer.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,382
Back