• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Belt drive issue - belts and shaft pulley overheating/belts melting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundayFlyboy97

Hi all,

So again I am having issues with this little engine I am trying to install on a motorglider, the problem is I have already went through 2nd set of belts.

I am using Gates 5M515 Polyflex belts, the engine is MZ34 rated at 28hp. The propeller is 58x37 driven through 2.78:1 reduction ratio. All is well, I am achieving max engine rpm (6200 rpm) and there is plenty of thrust...but if I let the engine run any longer than about 30 seconds at full throttle or 5 minutes at idle, the shaft pulley gets so hot that the belts melt, I attached the pictures so you can see the result. On the 1st picture I attached only 3 spare belts I had just to showcase the shaft pulley with the belts on, and the 2nd picture is the result after running the engine for few minutes.

The belts are properly tightened, as per instructions. I am at a loss.

I obviously cant fly until this is sorted out. Does anyone have ideas how to sort this out (except get a rotax lol, cant do that, they are all too heavy for this project).

Attachments

• 20230903_171034.jpg
    20230903_171034.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230903_171040.jpg
    20230903_171040.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Back