• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CIDCrazyJay

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker (2y+). I Joined this Forum a while back, but haven't actively joined any discussions up until posting/starting a thread the other day. It was suggested I should introduce myself.

My name is Justin, and I am hopelessly addicted to airplanes. I've had My PPL,SEL,TW for about 6 years, but have not been up much recently, well since Covid, for various but totally invalid reasons.

I've been in and out of Aeromodeling, stick and tissue scratch building, up to .40 sized glow RC. I've had hobbies including Motorcycles/Dirt Bikes, plus a short foray into Race Cars and spirited driving. Also dabbled in DIY bicycle, lawn equipment, moto and auto mechanics, and many other hobbies that seem to come and go. But Aviation has always been My passion since an early age, and it never fades away completely. I love every aspect of it, from Aerodynamics to Structures, Engines and Propulsion, to Navigation and Weather.

I've been poking at the beast as it were, while looking up at the sky, and have rekindled my interest in experimental/homebuilt aircraft over the last 2-3 years. Specifically composites; as it seems the likely path to obtaining several "idealized" airplanes that do not yet exist, and probably never will. ...Unless I make it happen, Haha.

I'm a big fan of Burt Rutan. I think the RAF mold-less method really is an ideal way to rapidly create accurate one-off prototypes that could also be built by others with basic hand tools and quality printed instructions. There have been several technological improvements in the last 20-40 years that could contribute to a higher quality product, namely computer aided design, which I am quite familiar with, and also CNC routers/hot-wire machines that are known to radically improve precision, and eliminate countless hundreds of hours and potential costly mistakes.

Although I'm not an engineer or aerodynamicist by profession, I've consumed the knowledge of almost every NACA report of interest between about 1923-1950. I am no stranger to aerodynamics, specifically airfoils, hydrofoils, and the inverse-design of those shapes. (Although I'm mostly limited to single-element foils, unless I want to spend an inordinate amount of time).
I'm also an amateur/budding stability & control experimenter, and well versed in many available programs for such activities. Including Profil, Xfoil, AVL, xflr5, and have also been working with Simscale a lot more recently. - In addition to developing some fairly advanced skills in AutoCAD, and Rhino over the last ~15 years.

I'm not shy of questioning anything and everything to prove a pet theory, or even attempt to kill a sacred cow. (Probably why I gravitate toward Burts designs and methods).

Thank You to everyone who contributes to this knowledge base. I intend to add something here and there, or at least spark discussion that leads to someone else spilling the beans we all crave.

Back