• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another Electric 103 Dreamer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptStephan

Hello all and thanks for allowing me on the site.

I am an avid sailor, former USCG 50T Master (civilian), licensed professional chemical engineer with 30 years of water treatment experience, and am currently completing my masters in machine learning at Colorado State. I live in Montana with my wife and two dogs. We have two grandkids here in town. I have experience with light construction in cedar strip canoes and kayaks which were all done with West System Epoxy and glass.

I am currently trying to figure out how two aircraft can be so similar and so far apart at the same time. I have been looking at the Archaeopteryx and wishing I had $150k just laying about. I have also been looking at the Carbon Dragon for some time, but as others on this site have pointed out, it will be a trick to get electric self-launch capabilities on that aircraft. And lastly the EMG-6 seems possible, but as a Montana resident, I would like to see an enclosed cockpit.

So, what I am contemplating is to do a build similar to the all-carbon dragon by Phil Lardner, but add two electric motors similar to the Lazair. This is going to take some engineering in areas that I have no experience, so should be fun. I am not looking for a true glider, but more a Part 103 electric "aircraft". I would like to get 2 hours of flight time per charge (have read the arguments on this topic here as well). It just seems a light plane like the Carbon Dragon with some mods would fit the mission.

Best to all,
Stephan

Back