• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Alternative wheels/brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I'm just getting over sticker shock at the current prices of Matco, Beringer, Cleveland offerings in this department. A few others out there too but generally a pair of wheels and brakes will now set you back $1500-4000. I'm talking about typical 6" wheels for something around 1500lbs of loaded airplane. I may be cheap, but these prices seem nuts to me. Considering what you pay for high quality automotive aftermarket, stuff like this is astronomical. And apart from Cleveland they don't even have the "Certified!" excuse.

So what are the alternatives? Looking at the offerings from the sand rail guys I can't help thinking that some of their stuff must be adaptable. I'm not limiting myself to something uses standard aero-tires either, in fact I'd rather get away from that. Companies like Wilwood make every type of brake caliper and disc you could ever want for $100-150 in the sizes I'm considering. I bought a couple and the quality is excellent. This was for my big biplane design which will use a couple of Douglas Sand rail rims (15") with 5x15 tires that closely resemble 1920 disc wheels. But it will be a tricky conversion, need to machine a few parts, use special bearings etc.

I'm looking for something that could be a viable alternative to the regular 6" wheel that just about everything out there uses. Maybe go the hub/rim route like cars and dune buggies?

Discuss.... But please refrain from pointing out that all these things are expensive for a reason and I should just shut up and pay the price. I like to tinker and do things differently and cheaper, that's all.

Back