• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft wood alternative from South America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertperu

Hi, I am new to the group and planning a J1-B build and live in unusual circumstances. I live in the Amazon Jungle of Peru and my work is clearing and selling land to gringos (who want to move down here to "get away from it all") and building them houses so I basically have an unlimited supply of free South American timber. I literally have thousands of board feet of different types of trees that have been just laying on the ground for a couple of years because I didnt´have the time to cut them into lumber. This past year I went ahead and cut up about 3000 board feet from two trees: a Cedar and a Tornillo. I believe Tornillo would be a good substitute for Spruce. If anyone could help me compare the specs on this alternative to Spruce I would appreciate it. Even though I cut and work with this wood all the time I am not an expert on wood types and properties. I also have access to just about any other type of wood here as I can get one one of my workers who know the different types to go and find what I want and cut it up into big slabs and haul it back for me. I also have a fairly complete woodworking workshop so cutting these slabs into aircraft parts is not a problem. I almost forgot to mention that I also have unlimted amounts of Balsa wood. It grows like a weed here. Wherever you cut down and clear an area if you don´t keep it cut down Balsa and another weed type wood will just start growing up fast.

I noticed that different sources give different specifications for this wood. I plan to do breakage tests and would also appreciate any advice on the best set up for doing this.

https://tropix.cirad.fr/FichiersComplementaires/EN/America/TORNILLO.pdf
https://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0718-221X2020000100023
https://www.wood-database.com/tornillo/
Common Name(s): Tornillo

Scientific Name: Cedrelinga catenaeformis

Distribution: Tropical South America

Tree Size: 65-115 ft (20-35 m) tall, 3-6 ft (1-1.9 m) trunk diameter

Average Dried Weight: 35 lbs/ft3 (555 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .47, .55

Janka Hardness: 950 lbf (4,230 N)

Modulus of Rupture: 9,870 lbf/in2 (68.1 MPa)

Elastic Modulus: 1,574,000 lbf/in2 (10.86 GPa)

Crushing Strength: 5,950 lbf/in2 (41.1 MPa)

Shrinkage: Radial: 3.8%, Tangential: 6.9%, Volumetric: 12.6%, T/R Ratio: 1.8

Imagen de WhatsApp 2023-11-21 a las 13.54.48_f57f8be9.jpgImagen de WhatsApp 2023-11-21 a las 13.54.15_2db6a517.jpgImagen de WhatsApp 2023-11-21 a las 13.53.36_55424710.jpgImagen de WhatsApp 2023-11-21 a las 14.28.41_7a805afc.jpg

If anyone would like to see more information about where I live ask me for my website (not trying to advertise)

Back