• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aerobatic T-Tail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scheny

Hi,
as some may know, I am working on a Microjet. The design is using a conventional tail, similar to a BAE Hawk.

BeastOne_001_01.JPG

Now, the problem is that below the elevator you get a lot of interference drag and that also spin behavior is not the best (hence the huge ventral fin).

When changing the design to a T-Tail, similar to an ASW-27, I would not only get cleaner airflow and less interference, but also eliminate spin. I could also get the area of the vertical tail reduced by the amount of fuselage below the elevator (~4 inch). On the other hand, my test pilot says that he has never seen a T-Tail which is not susceptible to deep-stall and that he would not like to see an aerobatic aircraft with such a tail.

As the stall speed is about 60kt, but "slow" flight 120kt and the cruise speed even 230kt, I don't see that much of a problem. Also, with 22% deep ailerons and 25% deep elevator, I would not see the aircraft playing in the same league as an Extra 300, or an Edge 540... When I say the aircraft has aerobatic capabilities, I mean it will fly loops, rolls, etc. but I don't see it doing something what the Edge could.

What would you suggest? There are many gliders performing simple aerobatics. Would you try to convince me going for the conventional tail, or should I switch to the T-Tail?

Back