• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

6061 Sheet: Large Radius Bends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have seen information on doing small radius bends, such as for flanges, etc., but have not been able to find anything on large radius bends. I have also seen information on the minimum bend radius for 6061, but that should not be a problem for what I have in mind.

(and yes, I did search HBA)

If you want to bend 180 degrees a sheet of 1/16 or 1/8 inch 6061 to fit snug around a 2 inch diameter tube, and then be riveted, do you have to account for spring back? And how much?

I have seen formulas for calculating the allowance for material in the bend. Is that still needed for such a large bend? The spreadsheet i found gave a negative number for the answer, probably because the bend is 180 degrees and not 90. I suppose I could make the piece long and then trim afterwards, though.

By the way, this is for my scissors type trailing link nose gear.

Back