• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

5 things no-one will tell you about composite mold constructuon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi
I've been working on the plug. And in the process I've learned a few basic lessons which only experience can teach.
1) You can't mix 500ml of resin in a 500ml container
You need a far bigger container. The quickest way to mix resin is to use two equal sized containers divide the resin between them and add the catalyst to one of them only. Mix welk and piur back into the other one. Now it mixes like a dream. A few transfers between the containers and its done. Almost no bubbles and done in a quarter of the time.
2) masking tape sticks to latex gloves like **** ti a blanket. Even a light contact between the two ends in tears.
3) When using PVA release agent you have to FIRST kay down a couple of coats of wax. You can't use PVA by itself. (You just can't find little tips like this anywhere...)
4) You have to wax the flanges also. Obvious, yes, but it seems that no-one thought of adding this piece if vital information to their instructions.
5) Don't try to lay up the plug using a single piece of chop strand mat. You won't get it to lay flat. And the resin will set before you can finish. Then you'll be buggered. You'll have to rip it all off. Pulling off the PVA in the process. And the whole thing is a little upsetting. (Don't ask me how I know this...

More lessons to follow...

Duncan

Back