• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

447 - convert from pusher to tractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDave

I acquired a Rotax 447 that was used in a pusher ultralight. I'd like to put in on my Weedhopper, which is a tractor. I see a few concerns:

1. Exhaust. I can't just flip the muffler around (it's parallel with the engine) as then the prop would hit it. Any problem adding a 90 or 180 deg. piece so that the prop blast doesn't enter the open end?

2. The cooling fan. Won't it be blowing the wrong way when I turn the engine around? If so, can the blade be reversed or removed (and the stock cylinder shroud too) or ??? I see some people have formed there own free air scoops and also what may be an official kit. I saw this thread about a 503: converting Rotax 503 from fan cooled to free air???

3. Gearbox. The thrust will be pulling the output gear forward vs pushing it toward the engine. So far, in all the rebuild / assembly manuals I've seen, there isn't any note about washers / preload / etc particulars for either configuration.

Any other concerns? Thanks!

Back