• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 912 alternative engine poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyvulcan

Hi everyone,

I am doing some market research on a potential alternative to the Rotax 912 engine and would like your feedback on what your priorities are when comparing two engines to buy.

Please start this poll on the assumption that you intend to buy a Rotax 912 series engine to install in your project (no other engines are under consideration for this poll), but when ready to put your money down, you are offered an alternative.

The alternative will bolt directly on to your existing Rotax engine mount with the prop flange being located identically to the Rotax prop flange, so no change in engine mount/prop flange geometry (although weight and dimensions are different).

The comparable specifications for the Rotax 912ULS and the alternative engine are listed in the following table.

I ask that you do two things:
  1. List the items in decreasing order of importance to you as the buyer when comparing the two powerplants, based on the information contained in the table; and
  2. State which powerplant would be your preference, based on the supplied information.
e.g. 11,1,4,9,2, etc. Preference is Rotax 912 (or alternative)

Clearly at the end of the day, folks will want to see the alternative and will probably need evidence that the alternative is reliable, well supported etc., but for now, please just go on the data in the table.

I have taken the Rotax data from spec sheets and the www. The TBO cost may be way out for the Rotax. I have seen different figures quoted...

I cannot elaborate on the alternative engine, but information will become available in due course, should this engine reach maturity. And sorry, I cannot answer any questions about it at the moment so don't be offended if I do not respond to questions about the engine.

Many thanks for your input.

Dave

#ParameterRotax 912ULSAlternative
1Cost (complete with
ancillaries)
c$24kc$24k
2Max. Power (hp)100140
3Max. cont. power95120
4Installed weight (lbs)c150c80
5Dimensions (in.)23" x 22" x 15"30" x 10" x 10"
6TBO (hrs)20002000
7TBO costc$8000c$3000