• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of home-built aviation.

Why support HomebuiltAirplanes.com?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.
    • Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Another canard enthusiast -- with a VariEze, a Defiant, and pieces of a Cozy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond J

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while (there's so much info here, thanks all for the treasure trove!), but I think it's time I introduced myself.

I'm Raymond, I live in southern California, and I'm in the deep end when it comes to canards and Rutan aircraft. I own and maintain two: a VariEze and a Defiant, and I also have a barely-started Cozy IV project sitting in the garage. Their safety features (stall-free + spin-resistance) and looks were what called to me.

The Defiant has got most of my attention recently. I've only had it for about a year, and I'm working on becoming proficient in knowing and maintaining all its systems. Once I get its "base configuration" up to snuff, I'd like to start equipping it for convenient, long-distance travel. Future modifications I'm considering:
  • Detachable canard tips, to avoid the 2-person shuffle required right now to fit it into a T-hangar
  • Additional ferry tanks for 2000+ nm range
  • Copper tape HF antenna on wings for ocean crossings
I'm an electrical engineer at my day job, and I've got a keen interest in making sure my planes have good electrical systems and avionics. My most recent "big" project was a complete rewiring and re-avionics-ing of the VariEze (before and after pictures attached). It's now something I trust in IMC, and I like to say it's probably the only hand-propped IFR plane out there. :)

Pleased to meet you all, and looking forward to the discussions!
Raymond

Attachments

• varieze_panel_before.jpg
    varieze_panel_before.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
  • varieze_panel_after.jpg
    varieze_panel_after.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back